The Hunter Museum of American Art is located near Chattanooga and is dedicated to the exhibition and interpretation of American art from the colonial era to the present. The museum has a permanent collection of over 10,000 objects, including paintings, sculpture, drawings, prints, photographs, and decorative arts. Some of the artists represented in the collection include John Singer Sargent, Georgia O’Keeffe, Andy Warhol, and Jasper Johns. The museum also offers educational programs for all ages, including guided tours, art classes, and family activities.
The Hunter Museum of American Art was founded in 1952 by George Hunter, a Chattanooga businessman and art collector. The museum opened to the public in 1954 in a converted mansion on Chattanooga’s Lookout Mountain. In 1969, the museum moved to its current location in downtown Chattanooga. The museum is named for George Hunter’s son, Charles M. Hunter, who served as its director from 1954 to 1969.
The Hunter Museum of American Art is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is a member of the Association of Art Museum Directors. The museum is funded in part by the Tennessee Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts.
One of the Hunter Museum’s most popular exhibits is its large collection of quilts. The museum has over 1,000 quilts on display, some of which date back to the 18th century. Quilts from all across America are represented in the collection, including examples from every region of the country.
Another popular exhibit at the Hunter Museum is its collection of folk art. This exhibit features artwork from a variety of different cultures, including American Indian, African American, and Mexican art. The Hunter Museum is one of only a few museums in the country to have such a comprehensive collection of folk art.
If you’re ever in Chattanooga, TN, be sure to stop by the Hunter Museum of American Art. It’s a great place to learn more about American art and culture.
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park is a United States National Military Park located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The park was established on November 11, 1890 to protect the two battlefields of the American Civil War’s Chickamauga Campaign and Chattanooga Campaign. Today, the park contains over 16,000 acres of land and more than 1,300 monuments and markers.